from Callie Lambarth, Fundraising Chair
- 3-4 c. seasonal or frozen summer fruit/s of choice (blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, cherries, peaches, pears) – if using peaches or pears, peel and dice them into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c. packed light brown sugar
- 4 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1 c. rolled oats (not quick-cook)
- 1/2 c. sliced almonds and/or chopped pecans or walnuts, if desired
- 8 tbsp cold, unsalted butter cut into small pieces
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place cookie sheet on lower rack (this will catch any juices from the crisp, when baking). If using frozen berries, spread them in a single layer on a paper towel-lined baking sheet and let thaw 30 minutes at room temperature. Make oatmeal topping: In a large bowl, mix together 1/2 c. flour, brown sugar, 4 tbsp granulated sugar, allspice, and pinch of salt. Stir in oats (and nuts, if using). Using a pastry blender, two knives, or your fingers, incorporate butter into flour mixture until large, moist clumps form. Refrigerate. In a large bowl, combine fruit with lemon juice, 3 tbsp granulated sugar and 2 tbsp flour; toss well.
Transfer to shallow 2-quart baking dish, or divide into individual ramekins, freezing any remaining fruit filling for future use. Sprinkle evenly with chilled topping as desired, freezing any remaining topping for future use. Bake on middle rack until fruit is tender and topping is golden, about 35-45 minutes. Cool 15-20 minutes. Serve with ice cream, yogurt, or other toppings of choice.